Wednesday, August 25th, 2010 - 7:57 am
Category: Social Commentary
Sending hateful, fear mongering packets of lies, both ignorant and intentional, serves nothing but to further the circle of hate.
Please, do not forward me or anyone else this sort of nonsense ever again.
Just as Americans (Muslims, Humanists, Jews, Christians, Buddhists, Hindus, Sikhs, Secular, et al) look to move past the actions and ideology of our ancestors, many people of the Middle East look to do the same.
The Islamic People DID NOT bring war to America. Radical, hateful, terrorists did. The teachings of these radicals are no more similar to Islamic beliefs than the cults raping women and children in our backyard claiming to be Christian.
Western imperialists did however spend centuries occupying, culling, raping, kidnapping and destabilizing regions around the world for God and profit. Mostly for profit. Much of the Middle East was occupied by Western powers until very recently. In some cases their sponsor states left amicably, in others they were cast out by rebellion, and in some they just pulled out over night.
Before we go pointing fingers at the “history of the region,” let us take a look at our own dirty laundry:
- Americans committed systematic genocide under the Indian Removal Act, generally credited to the often demonized Andrew Jackson, but proposed and championed by Thomas Jefferson.
- Manifest Destiny declared that by God’s will Americans should reshape the world in America’s image.
- Segregation extended in to the lifetimes of our grandfathers, our fathers, even to our own, and to our children’s lives. It still exists.
- “Collateral damage” doesn’t mean they accidentally knocked down a light post. It means innocent people (men, women, and children) have been massacred because of the misfortune of being in the wrong place at the wrong time.
- “Blood Diamonds” are not some fancy Hollywood buzz word. They are a fact of life for many African people. Westerners find no value of the lives of children in these areas as the warlords discard them like stale bread.
These were and are the acts of so-called “Christian” men. Would you now like to condemn Christendom?
I don’t send this email in debate. These are facts, not opinions, all easily verifiable with minimal research.
I challenge you to pledge:
I value all life.
I value peaceful, open and honest discourse.
I will pursue amicable solutions to the conflicts I meet in life.
I will assist my fellow man in elevating himself.
We are one people, on one world we have to share.
We better start figuring out how to do that.